[lbo-talk] Terms of Debate was Terrain of Struggle was O'Reilly vs Churchill

amadeus amadeus amadeus482000 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 19 15:13:09 PST 2005

Hi, everyone, I'm frankly suprised that folks are rejecting the abstention from ascribing motives as a reasonable term of debate. Can we remove ourselves from the situation at hand and whatever axes we have to grind and ask ourselves how we can ever really know someone's motive in stating something or doing something? Apart from clairvoyance, I really don't see how that's possible. I really feel it's best in these debates if we try our best to take what people say at face value. All we can really do apart from subjectively ascribing motives is to then take what that person says and compare it to our own understanding of the situation on the ground, as well as compare it to what others have said. And if they are truly dishonest, they will be exposed by facts, not by accusations, or accusations of accusations, etc.

I could care less, for example, if Churchill "meant" to cause disrespect to 9/11 victims, or if he "had something to gain" by doing a footnote wrong, or whatever. What I know is that 9/11 happened, and Churchill and other academics' careers, livelihoods and lives themselves are now being threatened.

Similarly, how much pulp has been wasted by otherwise-competent historians on amateur psychiatric diagnoses of Stalin? Or mainstream newsprint on Kim Jong-Il having a coterie of women and that's why he's a brutal dictator? 60 Minutes tape on how Saddam Hussein likes guns? (Are Saddam's 'motives' a justification for the Iraq War?) Does it matter that Stalin went to seminary school and was beaten, etc.? The reality was that 30 million peasants were killed, and the historico-material conditions were well-laid, whether Stalin was a conniving idiot or not. I'll leave the talk of individual responsibility and personal culpability to right-wing evangelical conservatives. Oh and Bill Cosby.

best, --adx

===== "Mary Poppins is alive and well in Argentina, she sends her regards." - Rod McKuen, The Mud Kids