[lbo-talk] Lynne Stewart speaks

Michael Dawson mdawson at pdx.edu
Mon Feb 21 16:15:49 PST 2005

John, do you agree she dictated a call for ending a cease fire from her client to a newspaper that reaches the cease-firers? I'm not at all hostile toward Stewart. In fact, I agree that her sentence is way too harsh. But I wish she'd admit she blew it and speak openly and rationally about how the left opposes terrorism and respects just laws.

Most of you LBOers see creeping fascism and a police state as the main danger for the left right now. I simply disagree. I see left self-sabotage as the main danger. Churchill should not be fired and probably won't be. Stewart should get something like Martha Stewart's prison sentence, and also lose her law license.

In my view, spending our outrage on these people greatly reduces our ability to spend it when it's really needed, as when the next leg of this war unfolds. Our ruling class is too smart in this area to permit the kind of attacks you guys all see coming. This is all a trap to prime the Fox and talk-radio pumps. IMHO...