[lbo-talk] HST Deep throat

Celi Ben cpthron at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 22 18:56:12 PST 2005

>Message: 5
>Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 18:51:04 -0500
>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Re: Greg Palast on Hunter Thompson=Deep
> Throat??
>To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org
>
>HST = Deep Throat? That's kinda nutty. How could he possibly have
>known what was going on inside Nixon's WH?

Yes. It sounds weird. The reason why it seems interesting is that you would have to suspend doubt on one hand to understand what pleasure someone would derive from releasing a forged email within an atrios thread on Choicepoint where there isn't a clear prank motivation for trying to get people to believe Hunter Thompson is deep throat, but on the other hand, you would have to believe that Thompson could actually have functioned in a role like that and had all that information and not have come up in anyone's analysis. What I don't know a lot about is how much information deep throat conveyed. Could he have been anyone who heard information secondhand and was telling Woodward and Bernstein "Hey, maybe you should look into this" or did they pass on lots of specific information and W&B copied it down and reported it. The blogger is shaping the scenario around the idea that H.S.T. was Buchanan's great friend, and that maybe Buchanan talks a lot about what was going on in his life, and many people who study it pin Buchanan as the only one who was aware of certain pieces of information that Deep throat knew, so maybe Thompson was borrowing Buchanan's awareness when Buchanan started babbling, frequently over beer. That would require a lot of things to be lined up for this to transpire. With 60 seconds research, I did find this backing up their apparent friendship, which does make Buchanan sound like a complex person to have a friend like that, compared to certain others in his political camp: http://www.iidb.org/vbb/archive/index.php/t-42913.html

quote "well here's part of an email forwarded from a confidant of buchanan's publisher:

Buchanan heard the news from A before it hit the wires and though he's had a statement prepared he said he would wait a few days so the family can deal with other things before this particular media storm makes it difficult, if not entiely impossible. They've got Bill Moyers involved with the media side already but are going to leave the initial press release to Pat because of his own involvement and the complexities of the chronology, who initiated what contact when, etc."

_________________________________________________________________ Don’t just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search! http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/