[lbo-talk] Greg Palast on Hunter Thompson=Deep Throat??

John Lacny jlacny at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 22 19:58:16 PST 2005

I thought I'd heard somewhere that assuming Deep Throat actually existed and that he had all the characteristics ascribed to him by Woodward and Bernstein (the most important of these, of course, being that he was a single individual and not a composite), the person who would have had access to the information they talk about and who could have been physically present at all the times they describe having met with Deep Throat was L. Patrick Gray III, Hoover's immediate successor as head of the FBI.

Is Gray still alive, though? Isn't it a promise by Woodward and Bernstein that they will reveal DT's identity when he dies?

Hunter S. Thompson? Absolutely no way. Buchanan is more plausible than Thompson, but still unlikely in my view. I think a lot of the suspicion it may be Buchanan hinges on the idea of Buchanan as an honest fanatic, somebody who at bottom has some moral scruples. That's a delusion, I think -- Pat Buchanan is a scheming, vindictive, dishonest, wicked lunatic just like Nixon himself was.