[lbo-talk] Here's a real example of Bush authoritarianism

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Feb 23 06:54:52 PST 2005

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org, Tue Feb 22 21:34:33 PST 2005:
>What I have said is that her case and the issues are more
>complicated than your simplistic characterization and there are much
>better symbols of authoritarian actions by our government. Such as
>the following case where an American citizen was likely tortured
>with the approval of the US and charged with terrorism for even
>discussing a conspiracy to kill Bush.
>
>The Left in its typical way wants to rally around the least
>sympathetic possible case, attack as many of its potential allies in
>fighting Bush's authoritarian policies, and stew in their isolated
>righteousness. You'd rather excommunicate me for voicing even mild
>dissent from left orthodoxy on the Stewart case than find common
>ground with me and other folks who oppose the whole gamut of Bush's
>other attacks on civil liberties.
>
>--------------------------------
>American Accused in a Plot to Assassinate Bush
>By ERIC LICHTBLAU
>Published: February 23, 2005
>
>ASHINGTON, Feb. 22 - An American student who was imprisoned in Saudi
>Arabia for the last 20 months was returned to the United States and
>accused by the Justice Department on Tuesday of plotting with
>members of Al Qaeda in 2003 to assassinate President Bush.
>
>In an indictment unsealed in federal court in Alexandria, Va., the
>student, a 23-year-old American citizen named Ahmed Omar Abu Ali, is
>charged with providing material support for terrorism. Mr. Abu Ali
>is accused of training with Al Qaeda overseas and wanting to "become
>a planner of terrorist operations" like Mohammed Atta or Khalid
>Shaikh Mohammed, two Qaeda leaders central to the Sept. 11, 2001,
>attacks.

What you call "left orthodoxy" has its value: oppose any attack on civil liberties in the United States in principle, not on a case-by-case basis.

It's disingenuous to compare the Lynne Stewart case and the Ahmed Omar Abu Ali case and complain that leftists have said more about the former than the latter. For many Americans, yesterday was probably the first day when they heard of the Abu Ali case, whereas the Lynne Stewart case got covered by the corporate media as soon as Stewart and her co-defendants got indicted in April 2002: <http://archives.cnn.com/2002/LAW/04/09/inv.terror.indictment/>. Amnesty International, the Council on American-Islamic Relations, the Muslim Students' Association, the Muslim American Society, etc. had been working on this among other cases, though: e.g.,

Among their concerns, the Muslim groups mentioned the case of Ahmed Abu Ali, an American citizen who has been held in Saudi Arabia for the past year without being charged.

"I hope to secure your intervention in this case in order to obtain the immediate release of Ahmed, who has been held in al-Ha'ir prison in Riyadh for nearly a year without charge and without access to a lawyer," CAIR Executive Director Awad said in a letter to Secretary Powell, sent after Thursday's meeting at the State Department.</blockquote>

It is possible that there is a bit of disconnect between US Muslims and secular US leftists. I recommend that everyone pay attention to news items and action alerts circulated by established Muslim and Arab American organizations, local Muslim and Arab American listservs, etc. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * OSU-GESO: <http://www.osu-geso.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>