[lbo-talk] Here's a real example of Bush authoritarianism

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 23 08:41:25 PST 2005

--- Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> wrote:

For many Americans,
> yesterday was probably
> the first day when they heard of the Abu Ali case

I dont understand Nathan's argument. You agree that we should defend civil liberties, but you seem to disagree with the focus on Lynn Stewart. On this point, I agree with Yoshie. It is normal that people would tend to focus on the Lynn Stewart case, given the press coverage it has been given. Why? Because the media is the main theatre in this war. Back in the 70s we concentrated on the Wilmington 10. Were they the only political prisoners in the US? No, but they were the ones getting the most attention. This does not mean that the Abu Ali case is less important, but there will always tend to be a focus in one direction rather than another. That may be unfortunate but that's the way it is.

However, I do agree with Nathan that if I hear the "First they came for the ..." bromide repeated one more time I am going to spew my orios. The other one I have come to deplore is "you can kill a revolutionary but not a revolution". While I agree with both, they have lost their effect due to over repetition....just like I used to like Kandinsky before I started seeing his prints in every god-damn dentist office in the world.

-Thomas

===== <<Furthermore, we must ask what does the dialectician want? What does this will which wills the dialectic want? It is an exhausted force which does not have the strength to affirm its difference, a force which no longer acts but rather reacts to the forces which dominate it-only such a force brings to the foreground the negative element in its relation to the other. Such a force denies all that it is not and makes this negation its own essence and the principle of its existence.>> -Gilles Deleuze "Nietzche & Philosophy"