[lbo-talk] Pope: Gay Marriage is Evil

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Feb 23 10:51:12 PST 2005

Michael:
> After 25 years of marriage, my parents divorced. My mother was so scared
of
> telling Sister Iraneus she put it off for two years. Finally she got up
the
> courage and told her. And Sister Iraneus danced around the convent with
an
> energy that belied her 85 years. My mother said "Sister Iraneus, did you
> hear what I said? I got divorced!" But eventually she got it. As far as
> Sister Iraneus was concerned, she'd been living in sin for 25 years, and
now
> -- hallelujah -- she had finally stopped.

Funny.

However, from a historical - dialectical perspective, the anti divorce stance of the RCC was a progressive position in the times when women had no right to hold property. It was a safeguard - a weak one to be sure - for women by creating some sense of obligation for men, who otherwise had no constraints from dumping their wives and taking their property. Only after women gained property rights the RCC's position on divorce became an integument.

It is thus no coincidence that is usually women who are most vocal opponents of liberal divorce laws, fort was women not men who stand to loose from a divorce. They still do.

Wojtek