[lbo-talk] Pope: Gay Marriage is Evil

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Wed Feb 23 11:51:03 PST 2005

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> It is thus no coincidence that is usually women who are most vocal
> opponents of liberal divorce laws

This used to be true, but I think the tide has pretty much turned, judging by what is going on in New York. We have some of the toughest divorce laws in the country -- much tougher than many red states -- and for decades it's been a baroque coalition of feminists and Catholics who have combined to oppose liberalizing them. But now the women have changed their mind. One of the central proposals in Judge Judith Kaye's State of the Court speech last week was that New York should introduce no fault divorce. Judging from the immediate survey of political reaction, all the women's groups are behind her.

Michael