[lbo-talk] Pope: Gay Marriage is Evil

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Feb 23 12:16:12 PST 2005

Michael Pollak wrote:

>This used to be true, but I think the tide has pretty much turned,
>judging by what is going on in New York. We have some of the
>toughest divorce laws in the country -- much tougher than many red
>states -- and for decades it's been a baroque coalition of feminists
>and Catholics who have combined to oppose liberalizing them. But
>now the women have changed their mind. One of the central proposals
>in Judge Judith Kaye's State of the Court speech last week was that
>New York should introduce no fault divorce. Judging from the
>immediate survey of political reaction, all the women's groups are
>behind her.

I speak from personal experience - divorce in New York state is a pain in the ass. Even an uncontested, simple divorce and cost over $1,000 in legal fees per partner, and take well over a year. And you've got to have a reason. Often the reason is concocted - "constructive abandonment" is my fave (i.e., no sex for a year or more) - though adultery is an old reliable. Still, it's about 50 times easier to get married than unhitched in this supposed hotbed of secular corruption.

Doug