[lbo-talk] Re: poor, white and pissed

Turbulo at aol.com Turbulo at aol.com
Wed Feb 23 13:55:44 PST 2005

I am afraid that "radical" or "revolutionary" are too often code words for hooliganism. With that in mind, the distinction should be between those committed to institutional changes and those interested mainly in creating ruckus and ass kicking. The former has greater appeal to people identifying themselves as liberals, the latter - to the folk described by Joe Bageant, especially frustrated males.

Code words in whose lexicon? Have you ever heard of Marx or Lenin, Luxemburg, Gramsci or Lukacs? These people were revolutionaries, part of a long and intellectually formidable tradition. Anyone who would equate revolutionaries or radicals with hooligans and "ass-kickers" simply inhabits a different mental universe from mine. I know this isn't the 60s or 70s, but, Christ almighty, is the political/intellectual discontinuity that profound?!!!