[lbo-talk] Re: poor, white and pissed

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Feb 24 07:34:22 PST 2005

Doug:
> Much of what Woj writes is tinged with too much misanthropy for my
> taste,

Not that it matters, but virtually nobody who knows me in person thinks I am a misanthrope. Meshugana - perhaps, but not a misanthrope. In fact, many people who know me are surprised by my reluctance to get mad at other people, my ranting and lamentations about ideas, systems and institutions notwithstanding. I understand that the medium through we on this list know each other does not allow for much personal contact, hence I think this clarification is in order.

Ps. A part of what I write is inspired in one way or another by HL Mencken - and he did not consider himself a misanthrope either. Demystifying "mountebanks," false pieties, impostors and "stuffed shirts" of various stripes if a form of public service, not misanthropy.

Wojtek