[lbo-talk] Poor, white and pissed II

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Thu Feb 24 13:27:16 PST 2005

>>Jim wrote:
>
>Just so were clear here. Marta was talking about housing supports in the
>community and you are lamenting the loss of human warehouses. The point is NOT
>that state institutions are good but that a varied range of community options
>are not available now and will be getting worse with Bush's cuts.

Thanks for bringing this point up Jim. Today's irony is that Bush purports to be for community choice in his Freedom Initiative and other proclamations but is cutting back Medicaid to the point that people will face greater denial of health care in the community. As you know states have already been cutting back on Medicaid spending. Bush's budget would create more of that. So on the one hand he says, be "free" to live in the community (largely because it is cheaper) and on the other will force denials of some or all of the following: doctor visits, prescription drugs, dental care, eye care, durable medical equipment like wheelchairs, etc. The governors are opposed to Bush's cuts so far but we'll see what changes they can effect, if any. Then the HUD housing cuts will mean fewer affordable accessible housing units and vouchers available for those choosing to live in the community in an already desparate disabled housing market. So he just as well may say screw you, you are stuck in the institution afterall.

best, Marta