[lbo-talk] UFPJ Leadership Funks Out

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Thu Feb 24 17:25:30 PST 2005

And wealthy Boston-area residents canvassed at that time supported the war and barely noticed the hippies and SDSers. I canvassed Brattle Street in Cambridge, a wealthy area where many residents were "Harvard liberals," as were many of the canvassers. The only opponents of the war we found were in a religious (Quaker) household.

The soi-disant anti-war movement of the late 60s and early 70s self-destructed in M-L sectarianism just as a large majority of the US populace (close to three-quarters) came to believe in those years that the war was "fundamentally wrong and immoral, not a mistake" (according to the annual Chicago Council on Foreign Relations survey).

Gore Vidal once said that the US is made up of the 1% that own it, the 20% who want to be like them -- and the rest. The sects were intent on providing outdoor relief for the the intelligentsia while the seismic shift took place among "the rest."

Similarly, the serious domestic opposition to the first US "war on terrorism," in the 1980s, came not from a centralized anti-war movement but from many different groups, often religious. And it was more successful than the '60s' version: the Reagan administration wanted to put troops into Central America as Kennedy-Johnson had easily done in SE Asia, but they were prevented form doing so by the wide-spread anti-war sentiment. The result was that what could be done openly in the '60s had to be done covertly in the '80s, as Iran-Contra showed. --CGE