[lbo-talk] The Rapture Index & "white trash"

Steven Gotzler Steve at Gotzler.org
Fri Feb 25 08:02:31 PST 2005

Been watching this thread for a bit and it started me thinking. Every year I go back to Wisconsin for a visit. I can't get over how fast new Protestant churches are going up. And they are huge, 5000 seats with over flow rooms.

But most interesting is that people I have known for many years, people with good educations, and better than average jobs are going to these things. I get the sense that they are a little embarrassed to tell me when they first have to. In conversation I often learn that they no longer know much about the news, although years ago they did. And they act, as in vote, by what they think they do know. We talk and if I can keep from getting to self-righteous I make serious headway in getting them back on track. Many of these people were people who were into new age sort of things in the past. Remember the "harmonic convergence" thing that never happened. People faded away from that stuff over time. I wonder if a lot of this middle class evangelical stuff won't pass when it turns out that it really doesn't deliver peace of mind?

Steve

----- Original Message ----- From: <jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Friday, February 25, 2005 1:44 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] The Rapture Index & "white trash"