[lbo-talk] Re:The Military, the Church, and the Police

snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Feb 25 16:03:11 PST 2005

At 05:46 PM 2/25/2005, Tommy Kelly wrote:

>>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>>

>>70% of Americans believe in Satan; 12% in evolution.
>>
>This could be from a lack of information - I say "could be" because I
>remain skeptical about any-and-all polls. Most *things* people learn in
>school are usually forgotten after they have taken the test. Change the method
>of learning & maybe more people will understand [the law of] evolution or
>any other subject. Hell, I've learn
>more things on my own in 2 years than I would have learn in all of my
>secondary schooling combined. ITs all
>about inquiry.

When such a large percentage of the population doesn't believe in evolution, something far more systematic is at work and it's a lot more resistant to change than mere exposure to the right ideas and/or interest in inquiry.

I'm just curious as to where that number came from. it's so freakin' low!

kelley

"We live under the Confederacy. We're a podunk bunch of swaggering pious hicks."

--Bruce Sterling