[lbo-talk] He'll shoot and he won't weep (article on thenewlyappointed Head of the Israeli Armed Forces who will take over from BoogieYa'alon)

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Mon Feb 28 10:45:51 PST 2005

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> Another observation - the number of pro-Bush bumper stickers also visibly
> increased AFTER the election - especially the ones on a white oval and a
> letter W with the imperial flag attached to it, thus equating the dear
> leader and the state, ein volk, ein reich, ein fuerher.
>
> As to the types of cars displaying these fascist insignia - I do not think
> there is any regularity - both expensive models and junkers; cars, trucks,
> and SUVs have them - the only exceptions being ever more popular Hummers
> whose very form speaks for itself and there is no need for wimpy bumper
> stickers.

Here is the Kansas City suburbs there is more of a correlation between "W" stickers and SUVs.

> One more thing. When I listen to assorted "activistists," populists, and
> peaceniks like you, Carrol or Yoshie I think of the scene form the film
> _Cabaret_ when the protagonists Sally and Brian, together with the German
> aristocrat Max sit in a Bavarian restaurant, and Max explains how the Nazi
> movement can be controlled to achieve useful ends. A little boy starts
> singing a Nazi patriotic song, and soon all patrons stand up, sing, and
> extend their hands in the Nazi salute. The three go to Max's car and Brian
> asks Max "Do you still think you can control them?" Max shrugs as they
> drive away.

Frankly, I just don't buy the Standard Leftist Dogma that most Americans are ignorant fascist nationalists. It's very easy to believe this about Americans, just like it's easy to believe that there are "two Americas" based on some arbitrary color of each state. These stereotypes make it easy for progressives to do nothing and stay in the comfort of their coastal liberal cocoons. Ne need to talk to and engage those stupid cretins in the Red States! They are all knee-jerk fascist Bush supporters.

The reality is a bit different.

For example, I found out last night from a friendly source that the Kansas Republican Party has $900 in its bank account currently. Evidently the "dominant" party in one of the "reddest" states is having a bit of a fundraising problem.

I think it's a mistake to lump all the people who voted for Bush in the same basket. They voted for Bush for a variety of reasons. And if you want to point out that people voted for Bush despite his lies about war, or against their economic interests, I'll point a finger at the Democrats and point out that many stupid liberals and progressives supported a pro-war, pro-capitalist, and pro-imperialist party that isn't much different than their competitors.

Chuck