[lbo-talk] He'll shoot and he won't weep (article onthenewlyappointed Head of the Israeli Armed Forces who will take over from BoogieYa'alon)

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Mon Feb 28 11:17:00 PST 2005

Chuck0:
> Frankly, I just don't buy the Standard Leftist Dogma that most Americans
> are ignorant fascist nationalists. It's very easy to believe this about
> Americans, just like it's easy to believe that there are "two Americas"
> based on some arbitrary color of each state. These stereotypes make it
> easy for progressives to do nothing and stay in the comfort of their
> coastal liberal cocoons. Ne need to talk to and engage those stupid
> cretins in the Red States! They are all knee-jerk fascist Bush supporters.

Frankly, I do not think people join a fascist movement because they subscribe to a fascist political philosophy. That is simply not true. There is probably a hard core segment of fascist ideologues - but it is probably a minority. Most followers are not ardent fascist ideologues at all. They have no coherent political philosophy at all - fascist or otherwise. They follow fascist movement for the "reptilian" rather than intellectual reasons - just like buying SUVs.

These reptilian motives include three primitive emotions: fear from a perceived threat, a will to prevail over the perceived enemy, and the immediate rush of feelings of power stemming from a fascist movement. Joining a fascist movement is not a rational act, but a gut reaction of a frightened and cornered animal that is suddenly given a chance to attack and overpower an easy target. These are basic animalist emotions that short circuit more rational processes. All people have them - the trick is only to unleash them. Fascist manipulators understand that and mastered the techniques to unleash these emotions.

That is what makes fascism so powerful and so scary. Anyone can fall prey to its propaganda - your friends, your co-workers, the nice guy you with whom you had a beer last night, even your family members. Just think of Germany, Yugoslavia or Rwanda - neighbors killing neighbors, co-workers killing co-workers, students killing their teachers. Most of them were not fascist in an ideological sense. Rather they were turned into fascist animals by skillful fascist manipulators. Nobody is fully immune against that disease.

Wojtek