[lbo-talk] Ward Churchill is Neocon Test Case for Academic Purges

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 28 18:58:25 PST 2005

> On Feb 28, 2005, at 10:15 AM, Michael Dawson wrote:
>
> > Two points:
> >
> > 1. If you believe this analysis, then you should be in Boulder setting
> > up
> > rallies, or at least spending huge chunks of energy helping Churchill.
> >
> > 2. Last week on John Stewart's show, I saw tape of Churchill in Hawaii.
> > There, he said in front of the cameras that the job of academics is
> > not to
> > explain history carefully and strive toward science, but to say
> > inflammatory
> > things "to provoke response." What would we say if a rightist made
> > such an
> > insane and simply incorrect thing? That's right: We'd howl and call
> > for
> > dismissal.

Who would "howl and call for dismissal"? You? I wouldn't and I doubt most progressives would want any professor; progressive, centrist or reactionary, to be dismissed for anything remotely similar to what Churchill has said or written. It should take a serious fuck-up to get a tenured professor dismissed. Not this chicken-shit nonsense that has been paraded about lately.

John Thornton