[lbo-talk] Iraqi Rebels Say They're Fighting To Prevent Gay Marriage

Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Sat Jan 1 10:18:21 PST 2005

Michael Pugliese wrote: Oh brother. To think I am in favor of invading Iran or Syria. Another example of why the American Left gets smaller and smaller every decade.

--yeah, it's frustrating to see your words get reinterpreted to say something that you never said or meant, much like you did in your post by attributing a whole set of claims about my perspective on the political positions of the resistance in Iraq or as Geras does in the screed you forward in which he misattributes a whole set of positions and ideas to Klein. The odd thing is that you or Cooper, Geras, Hitch et al seem to think that when you guys do this, it's hunky dory. I don't get it, why the inconsitency? Geras' idea of blaming Klein for the lack of democracy in Iraq is silly, she hasn't invaded the country, killed tens of thousands there...Geras might wish that the American occupation of Iraq could bring democracy to Iraq, but when we get beyond woulda coulda shoulda, how about what really is the US doing in Iraq and how does it contribute to the greater likelihood that democracy will not come to Iraq? Or must we accept the idea that the US is contributing to democracy in Iraq in order to be a left that is 'accepted' by the American people? And if Geras is correct that the US is a force of democracy in Iraq, then why not invade Syria and Iran soon? Why are we holding back?