[lbo-talk] Iraqi Rebels Say They're Fighting To Prevent Gay Marriage

Michael Pugliese michael098762001 at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 1 18:06:17 PST 2005

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 12:18:21 -0600, Stephen E Philion <philion at hawaii.edu> wrote:

> she hasn't invaded the country, killed tens of thousands there...

What makes it so hard for you to condemn mass murder whoever does it, under whatever delusional ideological construct they do it for, whether neo-conservatism, neo-liberalism, Islamism or Leninism? I've noted this for a long time. A good two years ago Doug in an exchange w/ you noted that Ba'athist thuggery killed thousands of leftists and Kurds and you reply that since Dubya 'sez this, we mustn't reinforce their case for war. Are we still making the case that Merleau-Ponty repudiated later, in Humanism and Terror, that there are progressive forms of violence in some abstracted form of teleological cum reification?

-- Michael Pugliese