[lbo-talk] Missing the Marx

alex lantsberg wideye at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 3 07:53:28 PST 2005

white flight from the cities cut across income groups. i remember reading a case study of how public housing in the boston area was transformed from a relatively comfortable comfortable ammenity enjoyed by the ethnic white working class to a very much stigmatized and dangerous place over the course of twenty years or so once black folks started moving in. of course, the city did much to reinforce the situation as did the post-WWII suburbanization policies.

also, hasn't there been some work showing that racially homogenous societies have an easier time taking on major planning projects since there's less contempt of the other and at least the appearance of a broadly shared public interest?

al