[lbo-talk] left protests in China

Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Mon Jan 3 09:37:19 PST 2005

John Mage wrote: Also worth attention is stuff we put up a day ago on the prosecution of _leftist_ protestors in China. What i find most interesting is that there is now a vigorous left internet presence in China, apparently growing with great rapidity. These pieces are translations from Chinese posts put up in the last week or two. <http://www.monthlyreview.org/0105commentary.htm>

--I met and know one of the men sentenced to three years in jail, Zhang Zhenyao. He was one of a number of former rebel wing of the Cultural Revolution that was actively helping support workers organize against corrupt state owned factory takeovers in Zhengzhou Province, which I did my dissertation on. The internet left activity has been growing and was actually active from about 2000.

Steve