[lbo-talk] The Ontology of Two Chairs (was Reich on sex & religion)

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Tue Jan 4 13:40:47 PST 2005

Miles Jackson :

We use Newton's laws not because they are the immutable, absolutely correct laws of motion but simply because--they work. (Score one for the pragmatists!)

Clip-

all we have is human understanding, so we cannot compare our human understanding to how things really are to verify that we're more and more closely matching reality with our scientific models. --A pretty obvious Nietzschean point, but one I've never heard adequately refuted.

^^^^^ CB: Do you subscribe to pragmatists' point as much as Nietzche's point ? Doesn't the pragmatists' point make Nietzche's point moot ?