[lbo-talk] Gore Vidal: Lincoln Was, Like, Totally Gay

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Tue Jan 4 19:47:39 PST 2005

> Homer? The Greek poet? Simpson?

Dean Hamer, co-author of _The Gay Gene_. Of course, there is no single "gay gene" (as Richard Dawkins, the #1 "genetic determinist" himself, speculated), so the book was fundamentally misguided. But I thought he did a fine job of measuring desire--from his interviews, he found that the vast majority of his subjects (self-identified gay and straight males) either got aroused pretty much exclusively by thoughts of sex with members of the opposite sex or by thoughts of sex with members of the same sex. Although Jim's right that this wasn't rigorous population work (nor was it intended as such), it's enough for me to conclude that there are plenty of (virtually) exclusively straight and plenty of exclusively queer men out there.

> If you think most are 1.1s and 9.9s, you need to get out more, Luke.

Maybe not most, but many. But I'd be surpised if not most. And I certainly need to get out more.

-- Luke