[lbo-talk] Re: Gore Vidal: Lincoln Was, Like, Totally Gay

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 4 20:12:45 PST 2005

>From: Tommy Kelly <tkelly15450 at charter.net>
>
>From: "Carl Remick" <carlremick at hotmail.com>
>
>>The South as a region *is* hopelessly backward -- anti-intellectual,
>>anti-union, pro-religion, pro-military, pro-business. Not to mention that
>>the South has been *sponging *off Northern tax dollars for generations.
>>These are not slanders but facts.
>
>"Sponging off the Northern tax dollars"? Okay. Prove it.

In 2003, for every dollar of federal tax paid by their residents, Alabama got $1.69 back from the federal government; Mississippi got $1.83 back; and Arkansas got $1.47 back. For every buck of federal tax that their own residents paid that year, New York got 80 cents back; Massachusetts got 78 cents back; and New Jersey got 57 cents back. For all their dislike of government, Southerners do quite well off Uncle Sam. See <http://www.taxfoundation.org/taxingspending.html>

>"anti-intellectual, anti-union, pro-religion, pro-military, pro-business"
>This is nothing more than mere slander.
>
>We have plenty of unions in Tuscaloosa.

If so they are certainly in a hostile climate. The states having anti-union (i.e., right-to-work) laws include: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Nebraska, Nevada, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia and Wyoming.

>Anti-intellectual... so why do we have all of these college's and
>university's?

Good question. It must have to do with the popularity of fraternities.

Carl