[lbo-talk] Re: Atheistic religions

snit snat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Jan 5 18:37:00 PST 2005

At 09:00 PM 1/5/2005, Carl Remick wrote:
>>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>>
>>Carl Remick wrote:
>>
>>>What about the Holy Ghost, the Rodney Dangerfield of the Trinity? I've
>>>never been clear on the HG's job description, but He/She/It is often
>>>depicted as a dove, which right off the bat would seem to make the HG
>>>more congenial company than the other two Almighties.
>>
>>... rejecting the Holy Ghost is the only unforgivable sin, if I'm
>>remembering my Catholic doctrine right. That's hardly Dangerfield territory.
>
>Hmm, with an eye toward Judgment Day then, I would note my longstanding
>belief that the Holy Ghost deserves greater liturgical respect. One way
>might be to add a third element to the Communion service -- say, some
>cheese to go with the wine and wafer. This would give the Eucharist both
>added spiritual resonance and more nutritional value.
>
>Carl

look, i don't really care one way or the other about this HG thing, but I would _really_ like to know why it's so important. my memory, which is vague--i age--is that the HG was kind of a joke, no one took it seriouslyl. my mother and father's parents were devout bible thumpers, so much so that they pushed my folks away from the bible thumping, and they sent us to more respectable methodist churches where it was talk of love, and jesus, and all the different colored peoples of the world. such anti-racism i learned in Sunday school. anyway, this HG thing, it really seems like most people thought it was a joke.

alas, recently, on another list, it became clear that someone from a catholic background, and someone with theological (protestant) training, took this HG thing really seriously re: the Nicene Creed that it freaked me out. To her (and him) there are a few things that make a christian a christian and one of themost important was acceptance of the Nicene Creed and acceptance of the HG.

insight?

kelley

"We live under the Confederacy. We're a podunk bunch of swaggering pious hicks."

--Bruce Sterling