[lbo-talk] Re: Atheistic religions

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Wed Jan 5 21:48:21 PST 2005

The Hebrew bible frequently refers to the spirit/breath of God [ruach], notably at the beginning of Genesis, and the New Testament books use this common expression. It is equated in the gospel of John with the "advocate" or "comforter," distinct from Jesus and succeeding him to continue what Jesus said and did. The spirit, the life of God, is understood in the other NT writings to be the animating force of the Christian movement.

The Nicene Creed, strictly speaking -- the statement drawn up at a convention in Nicaea (now eastern Turkey) in 325 CE -- barely mentions the Spirit. Creeds tend to be written to solve controversies, and Nicaea was concerned with Arianism -- roughly a hierarchical view of God, parallel to the hierarchy of the empire. Arianism was rejected by the coining of a technical term, homoousion, to say that the Son was "of the same substance" as the Father, i.e. no hierarchy in God.

Two generations later, a different controversy -- whether the spirit of God was also God or a creature -- led to additions to the creed of Nicaea on that matter. The longer version has been used liturgically for 1500 years; it spread gradually through the eastern and western churches (but not to Rome until the 11th century).

Eastern (Greek) theology tried to explain how these three could be one God. Western (Latin) theology started with a notion of one God and tried to suggest how that could be three -- e.g., Augustine (d. 430) produced a collection of influential psychological analogies. Disputes over the matter were an explicit cause for the split of eastern and western churches in 1054 (which was of course overdetermined). --CGE