[lbo-talk] Re: Atheistic religions

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Jan 6 07:05:31 PST 2005

"C. G. Estabrook" wrote:

> I thought the long controversy over Milton's Arianism had concluded that he
> was at least anti-Nicene -- and so "very nearly a polytheist," since the
> principal point of Nicaea is to maintain the unicity of God. --CGE

I would agree -- but controversies over Milton's theology _never_ conclude! :-) I'm less familiar with Milton criticism after the mid '80s but there was a huge fuss in the late '90s over the claim one scholar made that _de doctrina christiana_ was not written by Milton. Critics who want to keep him orthodox have really glommed on to that.

Carrol