[lbo-talk] Re: Atheistic Religions

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Jan 6 09:36:53 PST 2005

Carl Remick wrote:

> >From: BklynMagus <magcomm at ix.netcom.com>
> >
> >Dear List:
> >
> >For a bunch of non-believers, LBOsters sure know their
> >theology.
>
> It's recreational masochism.

In my case it was professional necessity. In the '50s and early '60s working with poets whose views intertwined with medieval xtianity; in the '70s and '80s working on Milton and his Critics. But since then my memory of all that has gone hazy, hence the warning of sloppiness.

Carrol

P.S. Milton's God was not Empson's last book. It was first published in 1960. It was his only book on a single topic, however. His other works were more collections of essays. It is a wonderful book, though a bit moralistic.