[lbo-talk] Oracle India climbs up the ladder in Asia Pacific

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Thu Jan 6 15:36:18 PST 2005

Business Standard

Friday, January 7, 2005

Oracle India climbs up the ladder in APAC

Our Bureau / Bangalore January 07, 2005

Oracle India during the past two years has grown in prominence in the Asia Pacific (APAC) region reaching the fifth position from its earlier tenth position. Oracle India figures after Japan, Korea, China and Australia and is aggressively expanding its Indian operations.

Said Shekhar Das Gupta, MD, Oracle India: “The Chinese and Indian markets are among the two high growth ones for us and we continue to strengthen our presence. The Chinese market has had a consistent 9 per cent growth over the past few years while India had a 8.1 per cent growth last year. We expect a 6.2 per cent growth this year.”

Das Gupta added Oracle India has seen growth across all the sectors such as banking, telecommunication, education, government and manufacturing.

“As we all know, banking and telecommunication industries have seen exponential growth which has helped us in grabbing market share. E-governance is another sector which we are seriously going after, as we anticipate more and more State governments will adopt computerisation to improve their processes. We are talking to all the states in the country and things are progressing appreciably.”

The company which already has 6,000 professionals in India has in the recent past added 700 more from June 2004 and will substantially increase this count. Das Gupta however declined to comment on future ramp up, which according to analysts, is a direct consequence of Oracle’s recent acquisition of PeopleSoft.

Said an analyst: “PeopleSoft in the recent past has made substantial investments in its Indian operations and integrating Oracle and PeopleSoft teams in India will be a tough issue for Oracle to handle.”