[lbo-talk] RE: Fiction recommendation

John K. Taber jktaber at charter.net
Sun Jan 9 09:17:44 PST 2005

John Thornton <jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net> asks:

> I need a few recommendations for recent works of fiction that
> are worth reading.

Try _A Suitable Boy_ by Vikram Seth. There is by now a bunch of English language novels and poems by Indian authors that in my mind constitute a sub-genre like Irish authors, British authors, American authors.

I would have found a glossary of Hindi and Urdu terms helpful, but even so, with Google, the words aren't too much of a problem.

After the marriage of her older daughter, Mrs Mehra is now looking for a suitable boy for her more problematic youngest daughter, who is attracted to (gasp!) a Moslem (he has the "wrong" name). The novel is set just after the Partition, so covers quite a lot of ground. Part of the background is land reform, which does not appear to have been quite successful.

There is a lot in this novel, perhaps too much, but it is interesting, and you won't finish it quickly.

John