[lbo-talk] Epistemic matters relating to science and chairs

Jon Johanning zenner41 at mac.com
Mon Jan 10 07:33:25 PST 2005

On Jan 9, 2005, at 10:32 AM, Eubulides wrote:

> And what's so great about common sense anyway? Seems to me 'it'
> causes lots of problems; the point of science and philosophy and art
> etc. is
> to undo common sense, which is nothing but historical, sedimented,
> epistemic
> prejudices towards various social and physical phenomena............

Yes, but you have to be very careful about how you undo it, so you don't get into an even worse mess.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________ In all ... philosophical studies, the difficulties and disagreements, of which its history is full, are mainly due to a very simple cause: namely to the attempt to answer questions, without first discovering precisely what question it is which you desire to answer. -- G. E. Moore