[lbo-talk] Re: Epistemic matters relating to science and chairs

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jan 10 11:33:23 PST 2005

Dear List:

Euliabes asked:

> And what's so great about common sense anyway?

Well, it doesn't cost money to have it. You don't have to take racially biased tests in order to enter institutions of higher learning in order to acquire it.

> Seems to me 'it' causes lots of problems; the point
of science and philosophy and art etc. is to undo common sense,

Art is supposed to undo common sense?

To me science tests out the beliefs of common sense and disproves those that are false. I am not sure if that is an undoing, or a needed check and balance.

As far as philosophy is concerned, philosophies such as pragmatism which help us to determine what works, are very much in line with common sense. Many other philosophies seem concerned with things other than everyday living and are postulated for a very narrow audience. In some ways, these obscure systems are their common sense.

> . . . which is nothing but historical, sedimented, epistemic
prejudices towards various social and physical phenomena

Same thing can be said of art and philosphy and science.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister