[lbo-talk] 200,000

Leigh Meyers leigh_m at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 10 22:54:40 PST 2005

----- Original Message ----- From: Leigh Meyers To: NEWSROOM-L at LISTS.NETSPACE.ORG Sent: Thursday, January 06, 2005 7:24 AM Subject: [NEWSROOM-L] 200,000

I think there is some rule of warfare which implies that for every guerilla, it requires 10 conventional soldiers to countervail. (That includes logistics & support personnel, etc.)

Perhaps the Coalition of the Coerced is seriously understaffed. ~~~

Iraq battling more than 200,000 insurgents Intelligence chief says most are former baathists Agence France Presse (AFP)

http://www.dailystar.com.lb/article.asp?edition_id=10&categ_id=2&article_id=11487

BAGHDAD: Iraq's insurgency counts more than 200,000 active fighters and sympathizers, the country's national intelligence chief said, in the bleakest assessment to date of the armed revolt waged by Sunnis.

Speaking in an interview, Iraqi intelligence service director General Mohammed Abdullah Shahwani said: "I think the resistance is bigger than the U.S. military in Iraq. I think the resistance is more than 200,000 people."

Shahwani said the number includes at least 40,000 hard-core fighters but rises to more than 200,000 members counting part-time fighters and volunteers who provide rebels everything from intelligence and logistics to shelter. The numbers far exceed any figure presented by the U.S. military in Iraq.

Shahwani pointed to a resurgent Baath Party as the key to the insurgency's might. The Baath has split into three factions, with the deadliest being the branch still paying allegiance to jailed dictator Saddam Hussein, he said. <>

NetSpace LISTSERV(R) software donated by L-Soft, Inc. http://www.lsoft.com

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.299 / Virus Database: 265.6.10 - Release Date: 1/10/2005