[lbo-talk] Armstrong as self-syndicator

Jon Johanning zenner41 at mac.com
Tue Jan 11 13:32:56 PST 2005

On Jan 11, 2005, at 2:20 PM, joanna bujes wrote:

> No, come on. There remains the notion of a "blatant transgression" --
> the interests of this administration are not entirely perceived as
> being consonant or identical with the interests of the general public.
> It's a straw to cling to. I need a straw. Every day is a struggle with
> panic and depression...gimme a break.

Oddly enough, many people are forgetting that nearly half the people who voted in the recent election voted against Bush (including both "blue-state" and "red-state" residents). It's doubtful that many of them have changed their minds and now support him. In addition, one might expect that the continuing disaster in Iraq and the coming disaster of Bush's Social Security plan will change the minds of some Bush voters.

Of course, from the "true radical"'s point of view, the anti-Bush voters don't count because they voted for Kerry (yuch!), and are therefore brainwashed idiots. In fact, everyone but the "true radical" is a brainwashed idiot, by definition. And the percentage of "true radicals' in the population is ... I would hesitate to estimate, but it's awfully small, for sure. So, by definition, the world is certainly something to panic at and be depressed by.

Meanwhile, we "impure radicals" just keep on truckin'. We were not very influential before Bush, and we're still not very influential. But if we do things right, our influence might increase a bit in the next few years.

And I'm off to a talk by Sister Helen Prejean in a couple of hours.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________ Belinda: Ay, but you know we must return good for evil. Lady Brute: That may be a mistake in the translation.

-- Sir John Vanbrugh: The Provok’d Wife (1697), I.i.