[lbo-talk] Armstrong as self-syndicator

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Jan 11 14:11:20 PST 2005

Jon Johanning wrote:

> Oddly enough, many people are forgetting that nearly half the people
> who voted in the recent election voted against Bush (including both
> "blue-state" and "red-state" residents). It's doubtful that many of
> them have changed their minds and now support him. In addition, one
> might expect that the continuing disaster in Iraq and the coming
> disaster of Bush's Social Security plan will change the minds of some
> Bush voters.

This is correct. And this is why I was not particularly unhappy about the election. My interest was in building a mass movement against The Occupation, and it was obvious on the basis of the election that nearly half the population was a potential source for that movement. Probably more than a half, because Kerry by his criminal support of the war and his argument that he would be a more murderous president than Bush legitimized the primary attraction of Bush for millions of voters: Don't change horses in the middle of the stream! If we are in a legitimate war, then that was a persuasive argument. Only in the most extreme circustances does it make sense for a nation at war to change leaders.

> Of course, from the "true radical"'s point of view, the anti-Bush
> voters don't count because they voted for Kerry (yuch!),

Jon Johanning, you are a bloody liar and scoundrel. Find one example of someone who opposed Kerry and who also attacked Kerry's voters.

I have never said, nor has any other enemy of the DP on this list ever said, one word against the voters for Kerry. Only an ignoramus or lying scoundrel would suggest this.

What slime! Carrol

and are