[lbo-talk] Does Al Qaeda Exist?

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 11 15:22:47 PST 2005

Mr. Dawson,

You are making little sense here. What 'conspiracy shit' are you referring to? If you are referring to the conspiracy theory that Osama and his pals did it, then we are in agreement, but I'm not sure since you were not specific. If Al Qaeda does not exist, as posited by Rumsfeld & Co. then the entire basis for the war on terror disappears. Even if we assume that the attacks were carried out by Osama and his motley crew, then this surely should have entailed a criminal investigation conducted within pre-2001 rules of jurisprudence, not a war without end that tears asunder the rule of law.

It is worth noting that there still has been no formal criminal investigation or trial of persons allegedly responsible for 9-11.

I wonder why you would only react to an injustice only if friends of yours were killed. Many self-less Americans have gone off to war because they felt that a wrong to people they did not even know was a wrong to them, but that is a minor point. The more important thing is wouldn't you want to be absolutely sure that your were kicking the right people in the nuts? How different would you be from Bush himself, who to his credit, has not even (yet) proposed any sanction of people who think the govt. may have had a role in 9-11.

And why would you seek to sanction, if you will, people who have a different reading of an event than yourself? Where is the insult to injury that you would be avenging by kicking people in the nuts. Surely you are not equating such people with the perpetrators themselves? Especially when these people might be right. Interestingly many leftists have suggested that 9-11 was somehow just desserts for the US given its long history of imperial crimes - It seems to me that such people might be more deserving of some kind of lesson in morality rather than people who agree with you that 9-11 was a crime against humanity, but are not prepared to take Bush at his word.

You have failed to acknowledge something very basic: Whatever version of the 9-11 event you buy into is necessarily a conspiracy theory. Indeed, any trial would include conspiracy charges and would essentially test the soundness of the government's own conspiracy theory.

Joe W.