[lbo-talk] Re: nailing the holy ghost

Jeffrey Fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 13:22:23 PST 2005

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 12:33:06 -0600, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

> Jeffrey Fisher wrote:
> >
> > if it's true that he's got no tact,
> > it's only because, well, i mean, he's f****ing god, after all. why the
> > f*** does he *need* tact?
> >

> *****After him [Descartes], Malebranche and Leibniz will apply that same
> reason -- which knows only by judging according to its own measure -- to
> the justification of God. What had been called _natural theology_ will
> henceforth be called _theodicy_, and, setting out to comprehend the
> divine ways in order to render them acceptable, will religiously prepare
> the way for atheism. All that He has done is well done because it is He
> who hath done it, said Christian reason. It is He who has done all,
> since it is well done and since I know why, and besides, He is bound to
> do the best, says Leibnizian optimism -- a materialized and corrupted
> scholasticism which woudl not only have seemed impious but absurd to a
> Thomas Aquinas.**** Jacques Maritain, _Distinguish to Unite or The
> Degrees of Knowledge_, tr. Gerald R. Phelan (London: Geoffrey Bles,
> 1959), p. 226.

that's not the way i read job, although perhaps i read job incorrectly. it's not a question of theodicy, because god's ways neither can nor need be justified. job never justifies god's actions except insofar as it tells us that job (the character) has no standing to file a suit against god.

here it's important to understand job as responding to the wisdom tradition of the psalms and proverbs, according to which you are supposed to be good so that god takes care of you. job (the book) throws that in the bin. god does what god does because god wants to, not because it's "best" and certainly not because he owes you anything for being "good" or offering the proper sacrifices. indeed, it seems pretty clear in job that we humans are really not god's first concern.

this view of god would also be offensive to thomas aquinas, but not in the same way that leibniz would. of course, thomas's reading of job was different from mine. i just don't see any indication in job that god is "good" in the traditional sense, so the traditional "problem of evil" -- which the book of job is traditionally understood to address -- is out the window, too. at least as far as i can see.

j who just hit the limit