[lbo-talk] Does Al Qaeda Exist?

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Jan 12 15:29:45 PST 2005

>Michael Dawson MDawson at pdx.edu
>Wed Jan 12 14:49:59 PST 2005
<snip>
>This is scurrilous and self-aggrandizing as usual. Doug advocates a
>real solution to this problem, which may or may not have required an
>international invasion of Afghanistan. We'll never know, because
>things obviously never happened in the proper internationalist,
>police-first way Doug favored, in combination with change in U.S.
>policies.
>
>What was your proposal? Do nothing?

Doug didn't advocate a "police-first" way. He advocated an invasion by a military force. Spain didn't invade Morocco, nor did the United Nations, in response to the terrorist attack in Madrid. What did the Spanish government do instead? They looked for suspects and arrested them. That's as good as it gets under capitalism. Saves a lot of lives and money. This point is worth emphasizing, as there is no guarantee that a big terrorist attack on American soil won't happen again in the near future. The next time, no self-respecting leftist should advocate any invasion of another nation in response to a terrorist attack. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * "Proud of Britain": <http://www.proudofbritain.net/ > and <http://www.proud-of-britain.org.uk/>