[lbo-talk] Stop Flogging the Dead Donkey and Own the Power ofaSpoiler

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Jan 13 09:54:57 PST 2005

Chuck0

> Woah. I knew that personal agency and free will are rejected concepts by
> the Commie Calvinists on this list, but now it looks like we are seeing
> the successor to Anybody But Bush leftism: Do Nothing Leftism.

WS: Personal agency - which I never rejected - does not mean banging your head against a brick wall or standing in the path of the oncoming locomotive. It means jumping on the locomotive if you can and steer it the way you think you can, or otherwise moving out of the ay to avoid being squashed like a bug.

Chuck0:

> WS: You anaylsis in the other e-mail about how Bush won may describe how
> Bush motivated his Fox News watching base, but I think that most of his
> support came from scared Americans who tend to support any authoritarian
> leader in a time of crisis. You may have noticed how the terrorist
> emergency alert chart hasn't been changed since last summer.

I think it is both, but you seem to underestimate the extent of anti-intellectualism and resentment of urban elites in this country. I would say for every "terrorism-scared" vote for Bush there were two or maybe even three Anybody but an Urban Liberal (ABUL) votes.

Wojtek