[lbo-talk] Stop Flogging the Dead Donkey and Own the Power ofaSpoiler

snit snat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Jan 13 19:15:01 PST 2005

At 12:54 PM 1/13/2005, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

>Chuck0:
> >
> > WS: You anaylsis in the other e-mail about how Bush won may describe how
> > Bush motivated his Fox News watching base, but I think that most of his
> > support came from scared Americans who tend to support any authoritarian
> > leader in a time of crisis. You may have noticed how the terrorist
> > emergency alert chart hasn't been changed since last summer.
>
>I think it is both, but you seem to underestimate the extent of
>anti-intellectualism and resentment of urban elites in this country. I
>would say for every "terrorism-scared" vote for Bush there were two or maybe
>even three Anybody but an Urban Liberal (ABUL) votes.

That is _exactly_ what my republican insider friend told me. The republicans put effort into getting Kerry nominated by influencing the NH primary and Iowa caucus. Rove supposedly sent out a memo asking republicans to participate in the primary and caucus. Kerry was their pick precisely because he was an Urban Liberal. He was also a weak candidate because he was a Sen. and Senators have voting records that are, just as it turned out, contradictory.

kelley

"We live under the Confederacy. We're a podunk bunch of swaggering pious hicks."

--Bruce Sterling