[lbo-talk] _for_ what? (was Stop Flogging <...>)

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 14 14:44:08 PST 2005

>>It's like your complaint that no one gives you money. For what? People
>>like to know they're giving money to get something accomplished, not just
>>tossing it at someone and saying, "have a ball. do what you will." Maybe
>>that's wrong of them, but them's the facts.
>
>Isn't that what people are doing when they throw money at the Democrats?
>Moveon didn't move anything.
>
>What have I done with very little funds?
>
>1) Operated a progressive website for 10 years which currently reaches
>over 150,000 people a month
>2) Opened infoshops in two cities with the collaboration of comrades
>3) Stirred things up in the library profession with the anarchist
>librarians network
>4) Published a few magazines
>5) Helped organize several large anti-capitalist and anti-war protests

150,000 hits or discrete IP addresses? MoveOn certainly reached at least that many people either way. MoveOn, Media Access Project, and Free Press were instrumental in getting the FCC's media ownership rules over-turned by the courts. It may not be as sexy as smashing the state but it does matter to most progressives anyway. http://www.freepress.net/rules/page.php?n=philly MoveOn may not be my favorite organization but to say they haven't moved anything is inaccurate. The point is, do not to belittle the real contributions of others. The above list is fine but what real concrete action has been the result? What capitalists entities have withered because of your actions? What legislation curtailing the power of the state have you been instrumental in passing? These are obviously rhetorical questions. You don't have to justify your accomplishments to me or anyone else just quit pissing and moaning about the worthlessness of others work.

>>What is really annoying is that you DARE call anyone a lazy ass. Talk
>>about calvinism. Not only are they supposed to sweat blood for capital,
>>they're supposed to shout "how high?" when you bellow, "jump!" People
>>work their asses off. The put in 9 hrs at work if they're lucky, around
>>here they have 1/2 hr to 1.5 hr commutes, one way. Then they make dinner,
>>do housework, play with the kids or help with the homework. Some of them
>>have parents to take care of or relatives to help. The next thing you
>>know, it's 9 p.m. and you're exhausted. You maybe get an hour to yourself
>>-- if you didn't bring home work. Alas, you seem to want these people to
>>give up even that lousy hour to themselves.
>
>But you know what? I don't buy this sob story about overworked Americans.
>These folks are making a choice to work their butts off. Their conscious
>decision to work all the time not only sabotages their families and their
>health, but it shortchanges social change movements. It's hard to
>accomplish anything when people are working overtime so they can buy more
>cheap plastic crap. Paying the rent is one thing, working your ass off to
>live in some suburban mansion filled with plastic crap is another. There
>are many poor people in America, but there aren't exactly many breadlines.
>
>Chuck

Now the poor have to be in an actual breadline before Chuck declares them officially poor? Perhaps you could work to pass a new Temple wage and distance test for the poor. We can call it the ChuckO standard. Anyone who meets it is excused but everyone else is obviously just trying "to live in some suburban mansion filled with plastic crap" and is therefore a lazy ass for not taking to the streets. Come the revolution we'll have camps for those fuckers. Your disdain for working people is really sad. How someone who claims to be a progressive can hold working people in such contempt escapes me.

John Thornton

--- avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean. Virus Database (VPS): 0502-3, 01/14/2005 Tested on: 1/14/2005 4:44:16 PM avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2004 ALWIL Software. http://www.avast.com