[lbo-talk] Stop Flogging the Dead Donkey and Own the Powerof a Spoiler

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Fri Jan 14 16:01:36 PST 2005

snit snat wrote:

> I don't think that's true at all. Chuck doesn't talk much in terms of
> that stuff, and I think his bluster is probably a lot like your bluster
> about kicking ass. :)

Bluster entertains the troops.

> One thing about Chuck, too, is that, after the bluster, he can often be
> pretty reasonable. It depends. At any rate, both C and Y do think about
> strategy and history. Doug often accuses Carrol of an overdeterminism
> that leads to a kind of giving up. But, I don't think that's what
> Carrol means at all. (I have to get to the library so I don't have time
> to flesh that out; i'll try later).

I am very reasonable. And I understand that this is a discussion list, which is more like an online bar than a seminar where my writings will be judged and graded. I see few footnotes in these discussions, so I assume that LBO list is like a bar or a lefty party. Just look at my bluster as drunk talk. ;-)

> I admit, I don't like Chuck's bluster about trashing the streets. It's
> too macho for me -- and I lift weights, do kickboxing, and LOVE
> powertools. :) But even he doesn't think it's all about trashing the
> streets. he just gets carried away.

No, it's not about trashing the streets. It's about trashing windows. The streets are too hard, unless you find a good cobblestone street or the asphalt is hot and gooey.

I'm all for using a complex strategy. One thing I was thinking today about organizing is a picket line outside one of our right wing radio stations. Yes, it's a bit tame, but I think I can get the media reform and stolen election liberals interested. That's just one idea. I use different tactics for different campaigns. But overall, I think it would have been good to see more righteous anger on the streets.

This morning I was listening to one of our local right wing talk radio stations. The morning show host was going off on that call to boycott buying stuff on inauguration day. That's just a silly little call for protest, yet this guy was livid. It's like how you know that Michael Moore does the right things--the right wing hates him.

> OTOH, I identify with Chuck. Some days, I feel just like you: i want to
> kick some ass. :) I remember the feeling of power (and terror) I felt
> the day, many years ago as a young mom, I knew I would be willing to die
> to keep the state from siting a radioactive waste dump -- anywhere. It
> was just something that came over me--probably feeling very protective
> as a new mom. probably feeling very angry at the way government
> officials and cops felt they could just do whatever they wanted b/c they
> had the guns. pissed off that they chose us because they thought we were
> all dumb farmers. but, mostly, it was thinking about this life i was
> responsible for and, as i mentioned awhile back after the election, the
> crystal clarity of that moment when you realize you are part of
> something much bigger than yourself, that you owe the past and the
> future. ( hee. i think that, if we were Durkheim fans, we'd talk about
> altruistic suicide now, eh?)

In my experience, my older activist comrades are much more militant than the younger folks. You would be surprised at how many older faces lurk underneath those black bloc bandanas. ;-)

Chuck