[lbo-talk] Stop Flogging the Dead Donkey and Own the Power of a Spoiler

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Jan 15 14:31:42 PST 2005

Michael Dawson mdawson at pdx.edu, Sat Jan 15 13:42:50 PST 2005:
>>Let me get it straight.
>>
>>George W. Bush is so horrid that we must do all we can to make sure
>>that we squash any challenger to the left of the wretched
>>Democratic nominee and ensure Bush's removal and the Democrat's
>>election.
>>
>>If the wretched Democrat wins, activists who helped to elect him
>>should turn out in massive numbers to protest the said Democrat's
>>inauguration, but if the wretched Democrat loses and loses worse
>>than the previous wretched Democrat who ran in 2000, activists who
>>opposed Bush's re-selection have no reason to protest, because the
>>horrid Bush won the popular vote fair and square?
>>
>>Does that make sense to you?
>>--
>>Yoshie
>
>Why can't _you_ get it straight? Protesting Kerry would have been a
>meaningful way of trying to drag him toward decency on the Middle
>East. Protesting Bush is a gesture with no conceivable impact other
>than making the left look crazy.

So, you and Doug, perhaps alone among all leftists of any stripe in the world, sat out all protests against the doings of the George W. Bush administration for Bush's first term, because Bush won't listen anyhow, and waited for a Democrat's victory, and now that the wretched Kerry lost, you two will again sit out all protests against the Bush Team's policy in his second term, because protesting won't change the policy, and wait until 2008 when you can vote for a Democrat whom you want to protest?

That still doesn't make sense. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * "Proud of Britain": <http://www.proudofbritain.net/ > and <http://www.proud-of-britain.org.uk/>