[lbo-talk] Stop Flogging the Dead Donkey and Own the Power of a Spoiler

snit snat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Jan 15 15:19:07 PST 2005

I think, as Carrol has repeatedly argued, the point isn't that protests will change policy. Rather, the shorter term goal is twofol:

1. To keep up active protests so people have organizations to which they turn (and join) when they, too, decide they've had enough.

2. To build a social movement and, more importantly, build a party around anti-war organizing.

I'd add that it's imperative to do so because our audience is also the world. The radical left also has to keep in mind that many on the more mainstream left want to see an end to the war.

My objection to Chuck was that he expected people like Dean, Obama, and Michael Moore to call for protests _because of_ the election. Dean and Obama.... hardly. Moore would be more likely to do so, but he strikes me as someone with an interest in promoting different ways of protesting and influencing government policy when he comes to _the election_.

kelley