[lbo-talk] Re: Bush using SSA to propagandize

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 16 18:41:34 PST 2005

>So this tells me that a potential wholesale gutting is in the works,
>with the other possibility that the WH will overhaul the agency
>internally and enforce some long list of `austerity' measures to
>`streamline' and make it more `efficient', basically kill it through
>regulatory power. With enough stories of inefficiencies, corruption,
>scandal, and so forth--all coming from the rightwing smear machine--the
>agency will look and probably be a wreck by the time GWB's plan is
>ready for Congress to rubber stamp, say by summer. After months of
>breaking it down, they can then claim to fix it.
>
>My only hope is that Iraq will continue to deteriorate into an even
>more horrible nightmare and stall GWB's domestic agenda.
>
>CG

Isn't fear of this happening part of why the WH is rushing this plan forward as quickly as possible now or is that perception on my part incorrect? They seem to be pushing ahead on this more quickly than is usual for something of this nature.

John Thornton

--- avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean. Virus Database (VPS): 0502-4, 01/16/2005 Tested on: 1/16/2005 8:41:42 PM avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2004 ALWIL Software. http://www.avast.com