[lbo-talk] POPE'S STAND ON CUBA EMBARGO ANGERS EXILES

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 17 13:39:26 PST 2005

>"C. G. Estabrook" wrote:
> >
> > Not even the most extreme ultramontane (roughly, pro-papal) theologians in
> > the RC church would contend that a call to lift the Cuba embargo or the
> > birth-control statement of 1968 ("Humanae vitae") constituted infallible
> > teaching according to the definition of Vatican I.

The latter part of this is not strictly true. Many in the church believe the teachings on birth control fit all the criteria for "Ordinary Authentic Magesterium". I fall into that category loosely. The church is well aware that this is an untenable position and does their best to pretend that the Humanae Vitae of '68 fits somewhere else so they can avoid a legitimation crisis concerning the infallibility of the pope. I have had many long conversations with Cardinal Law (goodbye old buddy) about this topic in particular and it is a quiet shit storm in the church.

John Thornton

--- avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean. Virus Database (VPS): 0502-4, 01/16/2005 Tested on: 1/17/2005 3:39:33 PM avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2004 ALWIL Software. http://www.avast.com