[lbo-talk] Does Al Qaeda Exist?

Michael Dawson MDawson at pdx.edu
Mon Jan 17 15:46:44 PST 2005

> (BTW, sanctions were authorized and managed by the United Nations.
> Somehow
> I imagine that you didn't support them. Do you have ANY principles that
> are
> universal?)

Come on now, Luke! Of course, I supported sanctions, just as I supported any actions the U.N.-managed police operation would have recommended, if it were allowed to happen, which it was not, for the very reason that the United States is a rogue nation that, like you, does not believe in international law.

> > Meanwhile, if you support the war, why aren't you fighting it? Aren't
> you
> young? If you like your country invading
> > another, you are morally obligated to put your ass in the line of fire.
>
> I wouldn't duck a draft of a war I favored. Am I morally required to
> enlist? Sweeping aside the fact that I'd be shipped off to Iraq (a
> conflict
> that I, umm, now question the justice of), supporting the efforts of
> others
> in a given endeavor doesn't necessarily entail that you're morally
> obligated
> to join them in that endeavor. I wouldn't question whether or not you
> favored tsunami relief efforts, even if you hadn't written a check and
> didn't intend on doing so.
>
> -- Luke

War, Luke. We're talking about war -- killing lots of people, including civilians, for political ends, and not war as a last possible resort, either. Huge, huge difference. You are a hypocrite. But, then, I believe you are an Israel booster, so that comes with the territory there these days.