[lbo-talk] Higher Education

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Tue Jan 18 06:19:14 PST 2005

joanna bujes wrote:
> I'm raising a son and a daughter. Which one of them is more likely to
> have to support a family? The daughter. That's one huge change from
> thirty years ago. The guy can always skip out. The woman almost never.
> At any rate, it was my experience.
>
> My experience is hardly unique. It's what a lot of kids are watching as
> they grow up.

in most parts of india, a baby boy is favoured because traditionally the boy lives with his parents (his wife joins that family). a boy is therefore a retirement investment and is favoured by the parents for higher education. the funny thing is how the whole thing has turned around to bite the parents in the back: [anecdotally speaking] it is the girls who are now taking care of the parents, not only because they just seem to care more, but also because the fancier education of the boys has caused them to take flight to the US, chasing the green card and house in the burbs dream.

--ravi