[lbo-talk] cushy life

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 18 13:54:29 PST 2005

I like the really carefully reading. It;s nice to knwo our professors are so precise in their analysis. I said middle class. Woj reads this as US suburban. I never said that, of course. I do not and never have supported the proliferation of McMansions, malls anchored by Nordstroms, two SUVs in every yard, and plasma TV in every room, here OR in Bangladesh.

I support bringing up the the standards of the world's poor to a level of not mere substantance of minimal adequacy but actual comfort - cushiness if you weill -- enjoyed by at least the unionized US or European working classes, and bringing down the lifestyles of the richest members of our society to one no higher that than enjoyed by partners at large law firms.

Since further literalness seems necessary, I would like to see more public transportation and less reliance on automobiles, more shared us of durable resources -- maybe washing machines -- less subsidies for suburban sprawl, etc.

And, yes, you will note that I probably would tolerate a whole lot more inequality than most of you. Before you denounce me as a bourgeois liberal, remember I wear the label proudly. But even if it is not as equal as you might like, you'd have to admit tata it would be a big improvement.

But we won't get this. We won't the get Bangladeshi SUV's either. We will get further polization, continents devassated by AIDs and war, sweatshop labor, fundamentalist terrorism, first world imperialist self-righteousness. We will get the imporatttion of third world living standards home. In short, we're fucked.